Eat the rainbow! We’ve all heard it when it comes to a candy on the market, but how often do we hear about it when it comes to vegetables? We can eat the rainbow by getting fruits and vegetables too. And in fact, we need to!
- Red: think about watermelons, apples, pepper, strawberries, raspberries, onions, tomatoes, radishes
- Why? Reduce your risk of stroke and macular degeneration, reduce inflammation, promote heart health, and protect against prostate cancer!
- Orange/ Yellow:: carrots, pepper, oranges, bananas, yellow peppers, onions
- Why? Boost antioxidant intake, promote anti-inflammation, keeps eyes & skin healthy, provides electrolytes and anti-inflammatory compounds to reduce post-exercise sore muscles.
- Green: lettuce (many to choose from), sprouts, green tomatoes, peppers, asparagus
- Why? Green is great for eye health, plus it can reduce your risk for certain cancers like colon, bladder and breast!
- Blue/purple: blueberries, eggplant, plums, grapes, onions, cabbage, figs
- Why? Increase antioxidant consumption, promote anti-inflammation in the heart & blood vessels, support the immune system, and improve skin health and help prevent wrinkles!
- White: garlic, cauliflower, mushrooms,
- Why? Heart health, cancer prevention, bone health, support your immune system, reduce free radical damage, lower cholesterol. Possibly provide antifungal and antibacterial benefits.
In the next entry, I’m going to talk about grains. So, stay tuned! And also check out what I’m doing on Facebook. I’ve been focused on school since April and now I am talking about here what I learned.